We've heard you loud and clear DC - You want an awesome place to learn how to code.... taught by the best engineers and designers. We just opened up our school as way for the DC tech community to come together, both teachers and students.
Getting Started With Python
Fletcher currently works at TrackMaven as a senior software engineer and lead data scientist. He is the founder of the Real Python courses, having written the first course to introduce new students to practical uses of programming; thousands of new programmers have since taken this course and the subsequent web development course. Fletcher has also written lessons for Codecademy's official Python track, including their introductory API course. He studied Operations Research and Financial Engineering at Princeton, where his thesis centered around new machine learning algorithms to utilize natural language processing techniques.
CodeDistrict has its newest event on Sunday (6/23) from 9:30am - 12:30pm. Fletcher Heisler has just finished publishing his book Real Python and will be providing live instruction. Also, a free copy of Real Python will be provided with the course.
date: Sunday - June 23, 2013
time: 9:30AM - 12:20PM EST
instructor: Fletcher Heisler
cost: $50 + processing
- Getting started: writing scripts, storing variables, debugging errors
- Strings and methods: modifying text, taking user input
- Functions and loops: creating and calling functions, how and when to use loops
- Conditional logic: comparing values, controlling program flow
- Lists and dictionaries: using more complex data structures
- Other possible topics as time permits: interacting with the web
- A non-Windows computer (or contact us ahead of time)
- Some basic coding experience is helpful but not necessary